The Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons in Sociology shall monitor the participation of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered persons in the discipline and the affairs of the Association. The committee shall report to Council the status and concerns of gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered persons within the western region. The term of office for each committee member shall be three years; each year two members, start and two members end their term in office. While members of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons may recommend prospective members to the Committee on Committees, they do not select their own members. They do, however, elect the committee's chair. The chair of the Committee is elected by committee members from among their ranks and must be someone who will be a continuing and active member of the committee for at least one year. The chair will serve for one year. The chair may be reelected. The chair is elected at the scheduled meeting of the committee, which is held during the annual PSA meeting.
- Procedures (majority vote, subcommittee decisions, etc.) for taking action.
Currently, major decisions are determined at the annual meeting by a majority vote. However, since the purpose of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons is to monitor the participation of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered persons in the discipline, a recognized minority, the Committee does recognize that a vote of the majority can have the effect of limiting the power of those in the minority, especially when those affected by the decision are members of a minority within this minority group. Therefore, it will be recommended that when a vote of the majority has the effect on a subgroup that is in the minority, a method of appealing the decision will be established and procedures for reviewing the appeal established
- Subcommittees. Subcommittees are appointed on an as needed basis, if at all. The procedures for taking action on the recommendations of subcommittees depends on the authority given to the subcommittee at the time that it is appointed. In general, it is expected that the subcommittees of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons would report back to the full committee and Chair. At that time, the full committee would vote on the action.
- Decisions throughout the year. When a decision needs to be made during the year, the members of the Committee will contact the Chair who is expected to contact all committee members, usually via email and with a request that they review the issue in question. The Chair shall set a time period for a response depending on the nature of the issue or concern. Unless time is of the essence, the Chair shall allow for a minimum period of two weeks for Committee members to respond to the request. If it is a matter of voting on an item, the Chair will tally the results and send the results back to the members of the Committee informing them of the results allowing them a minimum of five working days to respond to the results. If time is of the essence, the Chair will take appropriate action to either act or communicate with the members within the more limited time frame. At all times, it is expected that the Chair will inform the members of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons of action taking without their knowledge and provide an explanation as to why the action was taken without communicating with the Committee members, prior to taking the action. Decisions taken without the consent of the members shall be reversible if the majority of members decide that such action was not in the best interest of the Committee.
- Duties of the Chair.
- Establish an Agenda for the Annual Meeting in consultation with the full membership.
- Establish, in consultation with Committee Members, an Annual List of Sessions the Committee will sponsor at the Annual Meetings.
- Communicate with the Membership of the Committee, at least once every 60 days, to provide them with a summary of issues and actions that need to be addressed and to request members to send in comments or proposals on items that should be presented to the full Committee.
- Maintain and update the files, records, and archives of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons.
- Solicit ideas from the Committee on future action that the Committee should consider.
- Work with members of the Committee to establish methods by which Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Sociologists may communicate their concerns and issues that are effecting the Status of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, and Transgendered Sociologists in the region.
- Calendar and committee activities.
- Establishing an agenda. Ninety days prior to the Annual Meetings of the Pacific Sociological Association, the Chair will send the members of the Committee a request for agenda items to be discussed at the Annual Meeting. Sixty days prior to the Annual Meetings of the Pacific Sociological Association, a draft of the agenda shall be sent to all new and old members of the Committee. Upon receipt the members of the Committee shall have 30 days to review and comment upon the agenda. Thirty days prior to the Annual Meetings of the Pacific Sociological Association, the Chair shall send each Member of the Committee, a finalized agenda and any supplementary information that needs to be reviewed prior to the meetings. At the Annual Meetings of the Pacific Sociological Association, the Chair shall allow Committee Members to add to the agenda items that were not able to be suggested prior to the meetings. However, it will be up to the Members of the full committee to decide if such items shall be added to the agenda without having the time to review the issues that must be discussed.
- Passing on action items to the PSA Council.
- Selecting the next chair or chair-elect.
- Meeting as a committee.
- Nominating Members for next year's committee. The PSA Nomination's Committee recommends potential PSA committee members to Council and the President. Names of potential new members of the committee must be passed on to the Chair of the Committee on Committees with enough lead time so that the normal appointment process occurs. Appointments are normally made in late December or early January.
- Writing the annual report to be published in the PSA newsletter. The report is brief, describing the activities and decisions of the committee the previous year. The report should be sent to the Secretary/Treasurer by May 1.
- Passing on the archive of the committee. It shall be the responsibility of the Chair of the Committee on the Status of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Persons to pass on the archive of the Committee. This archive shall include all written communications between Committee members during the Chair's term, including any documents that were created electronically. Electronic documents shall be stored on diskette and kept with the Committee's files and archives. The transfer of these files and archives shall be done at the Annual Meeting of the Pacific Sociological Association when a new Chair has been appointed. Should the archives become too cumbersome to transport to the Annual Meeting, then it shall be the responsibility of the Chair to see that such archives are delivered to the new chair within 30 days after the meetings. Should the delivery of such documents require an expense in excess of five dollars, the Chair may, at his/her discretion request that the Committee establish a method of reimbursement internally or by requesting that the PSA Council deem that these expenses be covered by the full membership of the PSA.
- Procedures for soliciting input (agenda or action items, participation, member nominations, etc.) from committee members between meeting dates.
- Establishing an agenda. See 5A above.
- Decisions throughout the year. See 3 above.
- Miriam Abelson (14) University of Oregon
- Jason Hopkins (14) UC Santa Barbara
- Ann Travers (14) Simon Fraser University
- Liahna Gordon (15) CSU Chico
- Karl Bryant (15) State University of New York at New Platz
Most Recent Committee Report:
Past Committee Reports
We are in the process of making all committee reports accessible through the web.
In the meantime, for information on past meeting programs, please contact the PSA Executive Office.
Print This Page