The Membership Committee assists the Officers of the Association in recruitmentand maintenance of membership in the Association and advises the Officersin interpretation of provisions in the Constitution and By-laws dealingwith membership.
The Membership Committee consists of six members of the association.Members are appointed or a three year term. Each year two members end andtwo members begin their term. Membership of the committee is recommendedto Council by the Committee on Committees and appointments are made by thePresident and/or Council. While members of the Membership Committee mayrecommend prospective members to the Committee on Committees, they do notselect their own committee members. They do, however, elect the committee'schair who should be someone who will be a continuing and active member ofthe committee. The Chair serves for one year, but can be reelected.
- Procedures for taking committee action. Committee action is taken following a majority vote of the committeemembers. This is done either at the annual meeting or by mail or email atthe request of the chair.
- Specific duties of the chair. The chair must develop the agenda for the year's activities and mustconvene the annual meeting of the committee. The chair is responsible forkeeping the lines of communication open between and among members, for organizingand conducting meetings), for keeping track of pertinent member activities,for writing the annual report, for keeping a committee archive and passingit on to the next chair, and for providing leadership. The chair of theMembership Committee works closely with the Secretary/Treasurer regardinginitiatives for increasing and maintaining membership.
- Calendar of activities.
- by Dec. or earlier: Chair develops agenda for the March/April PSA meeting.
- Input from committee members is encourage and has been discussed with committeemembers at the previous PSA meeting or via phone, email, or mail.
- at annual meeting: Meet as a committee. Select someone to take minutes.
- Select/elect next committee chair.
- Discuss agenda items, which mostly involve ideas and procedures for increasingand/or maintaining membership in the PSA.
- Pass action items, if any, on to PSA Council.
- Solicit recommendations for prospective committee members; these are thenpassed on to the chair of the Committee on Committees.
- after annual mtg: Chair writes report of committee activities for publication in May newsletter. Due date for the report is May 1. The report highlights activitiesthe members have participated in throughout the year which relate to theMembership committee. Chair passes archive on to the next chair.
Pat Hoffman (15) New Mexico State University, Chair
Chris Hardnack (15) University of Oregon
Linda Henderson (16) St. Mary's College-Alberta
Linda Kim (17) Arizona State University Phoenix
Jeffrey Montez de Oca (17) University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Maria Sarita Gaytan (17) University of Utah
Most Recent Committee Report
Past Committee Reports
We are in the process of making all committee reports accessible through the web.
In the meantime, for information on past meeting programs, please contact the PSA Executive Office.