The Publications Committee consists of the Editor of Sociological Perspectives (ex officio), the Editor of The Pacific Sociologist (ex officio) and six member elected at large by the entire voting membership of the Association for a three year term of office. Each regional division of the PSA (South, Central, North) is represented by two of the six elected committee members. Terms of office are staggered, so that retiring members are replaced by newly elected members from the same regional division. The publications committee is responsible for the formulation of policies for all publications of the Association. Such policies shall take effect upon ratification by PSA Council.p/p>
The Publications Committee is one of three elected committees serving the Association. The Nominations Committee nominates candidates of scholarly distinction for each of the elected positions available on the Publications Committee. While members of the Publications Committee may recommend prospective candidates to the Nominations Committee, they do not select individuals for placement on the Association's yearly ballot. They do, however, elect the committee chair. The chair is elected by the voting members of the committee from among their ranks and must be someone who will be a continuing and active member of the committee for at least one year. The chair is normally elected at the scheduled meeting of the committee, which is held at the annual PSA meeting. The chair serves for one year, but can be reelected.
- Responsibilities and duties of the committee. The publications committee is responsible for the formulation of policies for all publications of the Association. Such policies shall take effect upon ratification by PSA Council. It is also responsible for recommending editors of the journal and newsletter to Council, reviewing annual reports which the editors provide to the committee, and for monitoring the publication of Sociological Perspectives andThe Pacific Sociologist. From time to time, the committee will also be responsible for negotiating contracts with publishers.
- Procedures for taking committee action. The Publications Committee meets face-to-face once during the year--at the annual PSA meeting. When business arises during the year, committee members correspond by letter or email. Whenever possible the chair attempts to solicit consensus on issues. When there isn't consensus, a formal vote is taken on all major issues. The majority position prevails on all votes. Other decision-making rules are at the discretion of the chair, decided in consultation with all committee members.
- Specific duties of the Chair. The chair of the Publications Committee oversees the activities of the committee. The chair drafts the advertisements to recruit editors for the journal and newsletter and distributes applications and summaries to committee members. The chair takes the lead in discussing and organizing contract issues with publishers and publishing issues with the editors. The chair also proposes an agenda for the annual committee meeting, chairs the meeting, and attends the Council meeting to make recommendations and/or present reports when needed. The chair makes certain that all members of the committee receive copies of annual reports from the editors of the journal and newsletter. The chair also writes the committee's annual report and submits it to the Secretary/Treasurer for publication in the Newsletter. The due date for the report is May 1. Finally, the chair is in charge of the committee's file or archive and is responsible for passing it on to the new chair.
- Calendar of committee activities.
- By Feb/March: Chair prepares and distributes agenda for meeting in anticipation of a late March or April PSA meeting.
- At PSA meeting: Publications Committee meets on Friday or Saturday so that action items can be brought to the PSA Council on Sunday morning. Editors reports are presented along with other business. New chair is elected. Prospective candidates for membership on the Publication's Committee are forwarded to the Nominations Committee.
- May 1: submits annual committee report to the Secretary.
- Kevin Wehr (13) CSU Sacramento
- Karen Seccombe (13) Portland State University
- Jane Hood (13) University of New Mexico
- Eileen Otis (15) University of Oregon
- Manual Barajas (15) CSU Sacramento
- Robert O'Brien (15) and James Elliott (15) University of Oregon, ex officio
- Charles Hohm, Executive Director, liaison from Council
Past Committee Reports
We are in the process of making all committee reports accessible through the web.
In the meantime, for information on past meeting programs, please contact the PSA Executive Office.