The Committee on the Status of Racial and Ethnic Minorities shall monitor the participation of racial and ethnic minorities in the discipline and in the affairs of the Association, and may report its finding and recommendations for enhancing such participation to PSA Council and to the membership of the Association.
The Committee on the Status of Racial and Ethnic Minorities in sociology consists of six members of the Association. Membership of the committee is recommended to Council by the Committee on Committees and appointments are made by the President and/or Council for a three year term of office. Each year two members begin and two members end their term of office. While members of the Committee on the Status of Racial and Ethnic Minorities may recommend prospective members to the Committee on Committees, they do not select their own members. They do, however, elect the committee's chair. The chair of the Committee is elected by committee members from among their ranks and must be someone who will be a continuing and active member of the committee for at least one year. The chair will serve for one year. The chair may be reelected. The chair is elected at the scheduled meeting of the committee, which is held during the annual PSA meeting.
Given the importance of this committee, it should be very active and all members should be totally committed to its constitutional charge. In order for the committee to monitor the participation of racial and ethnic minorities in the discipline and in the PSA, all committee members must have specific and precise responsibilities. These are determined at the annual meeting. This committee is very important and quite critical given the current political climate. It shouldn't be more important than any other committee, but it should be very active and there should be something happening all the time.
- Specific duties of the chair. The chair must develop the agenda for the year's activities and must convene the annual meeting of the committee. In addition, it is the chair's responsibilities to engage all members in the activities of the committee and to monitor and encourage their participation throughout the year by communicating with them via email, fax, phone, and regular mail. The chair also saves all correspondence, maintains the committee's file or archive, and passes it on to the next chair. The chair also makes certain that sessions which the committee proposes to sponsor at the annual PSA meeting are communicated to the Program Committee chair on time and that the proper Session Proposal forms are filled out. The deadline for proposals is usually around May 1.
The chair must be very strong, someone who can provide clear, precise, and firm direction. There should be close contact between the new chair and the former chair so that ideas, unfinished business, etc. can be passed on from year to year. The chair should make clear to every committee member what the "rules" are-- deadlines, procedures, constitutional responsibilities, etc.
- Procedures. Committee decisions are made by input from committee members, either via email or regular mail and/or at the annual meeting of the committee.
- Calendar of Activities and specific chair duties.
- by October 15: Chair communicates the committee's agenda for the year to members.
- by January: Chair contacts all committee members to check on progress being made on specific tasks, such as organizing sessions for the annual meeting and to get members back into the "committee mode," if no items require action.
- by February: Chair determines which members will be attending the annual meeting and who will be participating in sessions, panels, etc. Agenda for the annual meeting is sent to all committee members for their comments and suggestions. If the committee is working on a position paper or any action item that will go to PSA Council, the chair must maintain contact with all committee members throughout the year.
- at the annual meeting: Conduct committee meeting. Elect chair for next year. Discuss agenda for next year. Discuss proposed sessions for next year's annual meeting. Session Proposal forms can be received from the Secretary/Treasurer or from the registration table at the annual meeting. Assign specific committee members specific tasks.
- by May 1: Chair writes annual report of the committee's activities and sends it to the Secretary for publication in the PSA Newsletter. Committee members should be contacted for their input into the annual report.
Brianne Davila (16) Willamette University (Northern) Co-Chair
Blackhawk Hancock (16) College of De Paul, Chicago (Central) Co-Chair
Kathy Kuipers (16) University of Montana (Northern)
Sergio Romero (16) Boise State University (Northern)
Garry Rolinson (17) CSU San Marcos (Southern)
Ethel G. Nicdao (17) University of the Pacific (Central)
Alicia D. Bonaparte (17) Pitzer College (Southern)
Alexis Grant (2014-15) Humboldt State University (Student)
Current Committee Report:
Past Committee Reports:
We are in the process of making all committee reports accessible through the web.
In the meantime, for information on past meeting programs, please contact the PSA Executive Office.